Royal Engineer remembers terrifying incident King Charles might have passed away on live television

Following the passing of Queen Elizabeth, King Charles is now the new monarch and has several new responsibilities. It goes without saying that the former Prince has been preparing for these obligations for decades; now, it is finally time for him to share a considerable number of tasks with his wife, Camilla, the Queen Consort.

Matthew Horwood – Pool/Getty Images

Charles had a lot of responsibilities as a prince, in addition to the substantial charity work he performed. It may seem as though King Charles has always been the heir, waiting and ready.

However, in the 1980s, things might have gone horribly wrong after a Royal Engineer revealed that the King was on the verge of passing away “on live TV.”

It’s been a month since King Charles took the throne. He has resumed his royal duties with his wife, Queen Consort Camilla, following the two-week period of mourning for the late Queen Elizabeth.


However, on one occasion in the 1980s, Charles came dangerously near to being at the epicentre of a very tragic tragedy.

He might have even passed away while watching a live television show.

The Mary Rose, the flagship of King Henry VIII, sank in 1545 while engaged in combat with the French fleet. Between the Isle of Wight and Great Britain, in the Solent, it sank and would subsequently spend centuries at the bottom of the sea.


The Mary Rose was unearthed in October 1982, and the prince at the time was present to observe the operation. Charles was a major admirer of the ship’s past and was in favour of efforts to save it from the depths of the water. He wanted to see the process for himself, so to speak. He was even among the final individuals to dive down to the wreck at Portsmouth Harbour with archaeologists.

When Charles met volunteers and fundraisers at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard in Hampshire in 2014, he recalled, “I remember my days of diving on the ship out in the Solent in the most impossible conditions, it was like swimming in a kind of lentil soup, you couldn’t see anything, or so I thought, until it was under your nose.”


“What I could never get past was the tremendous competence of the underwater archaeologists.”

The then-Prince recalled that he himself had pushed the workers to continue working despite challenges with the equipment and bad weather.

“I’ll never forget the thunderous crash as the shackles dropped, and I initially believed it was all my fault. We now have this genuinely outstanding and one-of-a-kind Tudor vessel, therefore I believe the risk was worthwhile,” Charles added.


He will never forget the crash, as King Charles said. However, the truth is that the accident might have been commemorated as the day the heir to the kingdom passed away. That’s what the Channel 4 documentary Raising the Mary Rose: The Lost Tapes, which commemorates the excavation’s 40th anniversary, claims.

According to the Daily Mail, Charles closely inspected the ship when it was raised from the ocean floor. He was meant to get on the ship’s wreckage. Security was crucial, though, and the plan was abandoned because it was too risky.


Tog Mor, a massive crane with the Gaelic name “large lift,” crashed out of nowhere. Near the area where the King would have been standing, a piece of the frame came loose and nearly shattered the ship’s hull.

Jack Frost, a royal engineer who assisted in raising The Mary Rose from the water, witnessed the collision firsthand.

Facebook Comments