Mom Gives Birth To A Healthy Baby, 3 Weeks Later Is Completely Paralyzed

Holly Gerlach with her husband in 2010, were expecting their first child together and the long-awaited blessing came on January 6, 2011. They had a healthy beautiful baby girl and things were going perfectly well until everything changed.

Holly developed a rare disorder called autoimmune disorder when her daughter was barely 20 days old, became paralyzed from neck to down.

The couple’s joy knew no bounds after they welcomed their baby girl, and spent three weeks at home learning how to be parents as that was their first child.

On one faithful day, the new parents were happily filming their baby girl as she was trying to hold her head up when Holly noticed he thumb was numb.

“It kind of felt like the tingling when you burn yourself, and I figured that I must have burnt myself on something earlier and didn’t pay any more attention to it.” she wrote in her book Happily Ever After.

Next, she felt tired and weak, and it felt like she caught the flu, she was getting weaker day by day.

Her doctors diagnosed her with a rare autoimmune disorder called Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), and within 72 hours the new mom was completely paralyzed from the neck down. It was so bad, she was unable to talk or even breathe on her own.

Guillain-Barré syndrome is a rare, serious neurological disorder. It is an autoimmune disease that affects the peripheral nervous system. These are the nerves located outside the brain and spinal cord and can lead to weakness and paralysis that may last for months or years. Hopefully, the victims recover as it’s not a terminal disease.

GBS affects more adults than younger people and it affects about 100,000 all over the world.

Scientists have been able to discover the main causes of GBS, but it is common to maternal mothers, two to three weeks of postpartum.

Holly was in incredible pain as she couldn’t do anything on her own, she couldn’t talk either and spent the first two and half months on the diagnosis.

In the next coming months, she has to learn how to live a normal life again owing to her requiring a ventilator to breathe, and having a tube feed directly to her stomach.

She recovered little by little, as she had the support of her husband and family. She never gave up on her recovery and she’s doing perfectly well at the moment.

Facebook Comments